WEST END’S TRANSFORMATION INTO ONE OF BRISBANE’S MOST LIVEABLE SUBURBS
Located 1km from the heart of Brisbane’s CBD, West End was originally known as Kurilpa by local indigenous tribes.
Dense with impenetrable rain forest in what has been described as a “tangled mass of trees, vines and flowering creepers… ”, West End’s fertile soil became farm land in the mid 1800s and one of the first structures, a church, opened in 1873.
The year of 1875 saw the emergence of three schools: West End Boys State School, West End Girls State School and West End Infants State School. By the 1880s, industrial development was established along Montague Road including the South Brisbane Gas Works, sawmills and a steam joinery facility.
As the years went on, the farms and orchards in West End were steadily subdivided into suburban allotments which became popular for their proximity to the city, river breezes and promises for future transport infrastructure.
In fact, West End was one of Brisbane’s first suburbs to be serviced by a tram line which opened in 1885. The tram line evolved from horse-drawn to electrified in 1897.
Urbanisation of the area continued into the early 1900s and the West End library was opened in 1925.
The now heritage-listed Dornoch Terrace Bridge was built in 1941 further improving access to West End, suitable for both vehicle transport and pedestrian transport via staircases and a slip road.
In 2005, just over 50 per cent of the area’s dwellings were standalone houses with 37 per cent higher density residential properties.
Fast forward to today the continued urbanisation of the suburb has contributed to the strong cultural and social scene of the area. There is a high concentration of ethnic and organic grocery stores and restaurants, quirky boutiques and galleries, and expansive green space remains in places such as Orleigh Park and Davies Park – host to one of the largest farmer’s markets in the city.
More recently, 2021 census data reports that there are over 7,500 private residential dwellings in West End with abundant train, bus and ferry services to the area and an impressive selection of services and attractions.
FUN FACT: West End is home to 10 of Brisbane’s heritage listed structures. They include…
- 19 Bank Street: Astrea
- 178 Boundary Road: Kurilpa Library
- Dornoch Terrace: Dornoch Terrace Bridge
- 15 Gray Road: Wanda Walha
- 30 Sussex Street: Brighton Terrace
- 37 Gray Road: Nassagaweya
- 277 Montague Road: Gas Stripping Tower
- 321 Montague Road: West End Gasworks
- 406 Montague Road: Thomas Dixon Centre
- 24 Vulture Street: West End State School
Photo: Looking across to West End from Brisbane’s CBD (Source: Queensland State Library)
Pradella is proud to have contributed to the history of West End, creating 24 residential communities in the area since 2007 as well as the much-needed retail hub, Montague Markets.
The Lanes is Pradella’s final residential community being delivered in West End boasting an enviable amount of amenities including a rooftop retreat with resort-style pool, Wellness Centre with mineral pool and steam room and a contemporary alfresco dining pavilion set twelve stories high.
There are a limited number of residences remaining in The Lanes’ stage one and stage two is available now. Learn more or register your interest here.